Thursday, May 20, 2010

The end is in sight...

Day 4 of the Grapefruit Diet was particularilt uneventful. After cinema-gate 2010 which saw the inhalation of a bag of popcorn, the grapefruit diet plan was followed to the letter of the law on sunday!

This is the direction many of the diets I have tried have taken....bold one day good the next ec etc... so roll on Day 5...temptation was garunteed to ensue.

The fact that I was working furthered added to my doubts that this was not going to be a good day! I wasn't up in time for breakfast so I just through a grapefruit in the bag. There was then a power cut in the hotel where I work which meant no teabreak at 11....I was so hungry, the morning consisted of thinking up different ways to eat the grapefruit on the sly...I could just see myself like the butchers dog in cartoons...stealing bacon from the customers plates to get into me at the same time as the grapefruit. By the time lunchtime came I was tired, cold, starving and grumpy. Not surprisingly, the grapefruit and wilted salad I was allowed to eat did nothing to reverse the grump that had set in. That's the wonderful thing about carbs....they're great for putting you in a good mood....even if it is just for that half an hour before your blood sugar levels rise anf you find yourself sluggish again...but the buzz while youre enjoying your chicken fillet roll roll is amazing!

So leaving work at 4 o'clock monday evening I faced the same problem I had the saturday previous. I was hungry and about to make my way to Dublin City of temptation. For me it was the quivalent of making a starving person run the gauntlet through a string of restaurants. At the end of the race I was a broken person.I could not face into another salad the inly thing I wanted to do with my fridge full of grapefruits was to feck them out the window. At this point the bin wasn;t even place enough for them. I wanted them out of my house!

So before I had even reached home I had concocted a plan....

My goal with this diet had been to try and lose 5 pounds in 6 days..as the full grapefruit diet promises 10lbs in 12 days. So I decided that I was going to weigh myself on the eve of day 5...before eating obviously..and If I was happy enough with the results...I would allow myself a normal dinner before grapfruiting it up for the final time on day 6.

Into the chemists....bag off, phone and ipod out of pockets, jacket on top of them, and shoes in the corner... After 5 days of deprivation I was expecting big things,

And the result of my labour....A POUND AND A HALF! Had I not taken off my hoes to make myself lighter I most definitely would have kicked the machine in a rag...chemist or no chemist watching.

So I went home in a sulk and ate a big bowl of pasta...with BREAD!! Indescribable.

I thought about giving up on the whole diet there and then. Lying about it. Faking a lack of carb induced coma that would have someone forcing a sandwich into my mouth...

I decided to go ahead with the diet, but not as strict as before. So I would only eat the three meals, and they would be healthy but I allowed carbs and stuff. The grapefruit was much easier to eat knowing I would be following it with some food I actually liked.

I hadn't been planning on it but I reweighed myself the afternoon after I finished the diet. I hadn't gotten the 5 pounds in 6 days I had been half hoping/ half wishing to achieve....i had lost 6!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a little late coming to this but well done! You're a saint for proving that we can eat pasta and bread AND lose weight...magical grapefruits to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete